Friday, August 15, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers...

I am SO grateful to Amy, patient girls,
and all the strangers who helped us today.

Story:
My friend Amy and I thought it would be fun to take our kids to East Aurora for the afternoon.
"Fishy" cheesy Jane
We first went to the Explore and More Children's museum which was really cute and tons of fun.
Bruce LOVED the area where he got to build.
It was a perfect size place to play and explore and the kids stayed busy the whole time we were there.Cute girls in the barn
Then we went and ate a yummy lunch- really not quite Mexican, but good.
Next we were off to a great 5 cent/10cent store which was kind of a combination of the Smithfield Implement/Candy counter/Roberts craft store.
After that we got in the car and it wouldn't start! So Amy pulled up beside me, we found a nice man (just in town from Florida visiting his parents- yea, we had a while to talk.) He helped us learn how jumper cables work and tried to charge the car with my little cables- no luck. So Amy went and bought bigger ones and it started up!!
Kate really liked playing with the rice
We went to the Fisher Price outlet store after that and found some great deals and then back to the car again, and again it wouldn't start.
By now Amy and I are pros at jumping cars (not really) so we ask another kind man to help us. It starts- whew! So we decide to drive back home and as I'm driving (totally the wrong way too) it dies again and I can't go. So I pull over in front of a random home and I went to ask if I could borrow a phone to call B (who needs a cell phone right?)
The family was SOOO nice and they let us use their phone, bathroom, gave the kids drinks, and let us stay for the 1/2 hour while we waited for B. So sweet. B shows up, we jump the car and I tell him I think the battery is dead.
The car starts and we drive straight to NAPA to have them check the battery- yep it was dead. SO... $72.00 later we have a battery, we're on the road, and all is well again.
I'm glad we're going to the temple tomorrow because I have lots of blessings to count and lots of people to "pay it forward" to.

10 comments:

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Thank goodness for amazing strangers. At least you had some fun before all the craziness!

amy said...

this was a funny, fun day. the things we do to entertain our children.

Melissa said...

What a CRAZY story!! I'm glad that everything turned out ok. What nice strangers. That happened to us about a month ago. I thought it was because I let Jacob play in the car and he left a light on or something so I got our inactive neighbor down the street to come jump it for us. He told us that batteries need to be replaced every 40,000 miles and we were over that, so he helped us change it too. A good missionary experience though, right? Glad it all worked out and glad you all had fun!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Wow sounds like a busy day! I'm glad everything turned out ok. Have fun tomorrow!

Jess Perry said...

I am so grateful for helpful people who bless my life all the time! Glad everything turned out okay and everyone is good!

darcy damstedt said...

You would have done the same thing for others. You pay it forward all the time Eliza, in fact you probably still have a credit in your account!!

Mom D

smithfieldman said...

You can always depend on the kindness of strangers...
and you can always pay it forward to me...
just saying..

family said...

Wow - you are lucky! You need to be careful lady!! Funny thing, my sis in laws car died here in PA at a McD's. Good thing an awesome woman knew how to jump a car!

The Davies Family said...

Dang, you should have called Ry, he has changed many a battery in his life! Next time! What a fun adventure, its always great to see good samaritans in action!